Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Hybrid diapers and helmets

Sometimes there's just no way to sugar coat where you get your ideas from.  It's awful sometimes but it's true.  And every since MAC got burns from his Oeko Popo's, I knew something had to be done.  And quick.  What had happened was the Oeko Popo's had changed style a little bit, and the PUL was rolled over the leg by the designer, this, combined with MAC's eczema and all his other "issues" caused chafing and developed into blisters.  I knew then, I only wanted AI2's with soft liners.  And then I was introduced to a "hybrid" diaper.  And not like the Flip system, or the GroVia, but an actual hybrid system.

Pretty much what it is, is a few layers of fleece with a softer inner and a soaker.  So an almost waterproof AI2.  Well since this idea came upon me suddenly, I of course had to try it out.  So I rushed to the store and without knowing where to start, I bought a ton of blizzard fleece.  Well it didn't turn out as I had hoped, but honestly what tester ever does?  I put 2 layers of blizzard fleece and a cotton print outer.

Well, to be honest, it hardly went through my sewing machine, but it works, it's actually pretty durable.  I'm going to change some things if I want to list these to sell, and probably won't for a while.  I may wait to closer to the bazaars and make this for them.  I honestly love it.  I can use this as a cover with a doubled up soaker about 2x before it actually becomes damp.  It doesn't leak, just gets damp, and it has NO PUL, it's completely breathable.  I personally love it, besides the bulk.

Here's my tester for this.






I'm also having a hard time because I am constantly trimming this pattern.  Since hardly any of them sold, I only have self preference for these diapers, with the help from some of my family.  So the rise snaps have been 3x3, but I can't get the elastic cased properly, so from here on out, they'll be 2x3.  So that way you can have more elastic.

Lastly, ever so often, I head on over to ravelry and browse.  Just to see what other people are making and if people have ideas like mine.  Because often I'll have an idea, but not quite remember all the stitches to put it together.  And there it was, my complete vision.  I have been having this bright idea of making a helmet, a knit baby helmet since making my pixie hats.  But I have never seen one.  I knew there had to be one, and then there it was.  A picture of the Aviatrix hat by JustJussi.  Just one look and it was what I thinking.  I knew I could do it.  But I don't use patterns, like ever.  I create my own.  Seeing that I knew I could do it.  And after sitting on this pattern for a week.  I made my own.  It's going to take a while to perfect this hat since I don't use patterns, even though she offers hers, I don't use them, I also don't know how to read patterns unless I write them down or they're printed in an actual book.  I want to eventually make these to perfected sizes and make them with patterns.  Right now I think I made mine to big for MAC and he won't be able to wear it long.  But here it is.


And  to credit her for confirming an awesome idea.  Here's her website if anyone who can read patterns that people write want to make their own.  She has pattern for all sorts of stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment