I was using organic cotton velour which was mislabeled as fleece. I really wanted to try bamboo. So I bought some, and I love it.
Secondly, I really wanted a foldable snake like insert that snapped apart. I bought a diaper and really liked this concept, but the fact that folded up it was SO bulky for a little baby, I couldn't use it. And was really disappointed. So I wanted to make a snake like insert that snapped apart. So it could be snapped apart for smaller babies.
For my hybrid diapers, I found the more the better. Since it is technically a fitted diaper, the more inserts, the better at having the inserts absorb the liquid then the cover itself.
Now my 3 layers(9 layers total) is far to bulky for an itty bitty baby. But I like to think more into the future. As babies get bigger, they pee more. So I made a typical 6 layer petal soaker, 4 inches by 20 inches, and then an additional snap in insert as baby grows.
Here's what it looks like
Here's what it looks like with a 6 layer petal soaker on the smallest setting
Here's what it looks like with the extra snap in insert on the largest setting.
It's bulky but it definitely works great! And I love these diapers at night.
Also, another change that I had posted was coming was reducing the snaps to only 2 rows. Here's what that looks like