Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Chips and dip? Possibly!

Ok so with my son have a wheat intolerance and lactose intolerance, I should be steering clear of these foods, but....it's not always possible.  This next recipe is wheat and dairy free.  Thank goodness.  It's cheap and easy to make too.  Can take a while to prepare though.

Adapted off of Allrecipes.com

What you'll need

1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1/4 lime or lemon juice fresh
2 TB olive oil
1/8 of a tsp ground black pepper
1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, drained(or make your own)
1 14 ounce can pinto beans (or make your own)
1 bunch cilantro(I hate fresh cilantro, dried works fine for me, I put about 2 tsps in)
1 avocado cubed


Edit:  This tastes even better if you add in about 1 tsp of Ground Cayenne Pepper or about 1/4 of a taco seasoning pack!


My last batch I started the night before.  I soaked 1 cup of pinto beans overnight.  Then when I got up I started slowly cooking them on the stove.

To cook the quinoa, it's 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water.  Combine together, with a dash of salt if you choose, and cook it like you would cook rice.

Make sure to let beans and quinoa cool

In a large bowl combine all finished ingredients.  The olive oil, lemon juice, black pepper, tomatoes, beans, cilantro, avocado and quinoa.

Stir and enjoy!


The total price for this meal is as follows
Quinoa $3.49 a lb
Beans $1-2 for a bag or $1 for a can
Tomatoes $1-2 for a can
Avocados $1 for small $2 for a large one
Lemon or lime $.50

And you should have some sort of oil on hand.  Dried cilantro is about $3 but a fresh sprig is about $1

Total price for this meal is $10

Pair with corn chips or gluten free chips and enjoy.  It tastes to me like bean dip and makes for a very hearty meal!


It tastes so much better than it looks.  YUM!



And here's my lunch, with the avocado and yep I cheated, those are my wheat filled pita chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment